Thursday, August 02, 2012

My Movies Today




Because I’m a bit of a reactionary, because I don’t really get the point of burdening a film with as meaningless a status as the “greatest film of all time”, because I really despise the exercise of aggregating the mostly personal choices of several critics and reducing it to a case of mere votes just like our good friend here, because I don’t want to bore you with another piece on why a list, any list, is meaningless, and because I feel this is as good a time as any to fall for the temptation and record, for myself more than anyone else I guess, what I consider to be, on this day here, August the 2nd, 2012, my movies, my personal territory in cinema,.

And yes, I limit myself to 12 films only to abide by the general rule of list-making. A top 10 sounds brief enough and top enough, while the extra couple make it mine.


  1. Le Cercle Rouge (Jean-Pierre Melville) (1970)
  2. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky) (1979)
  3. Last year at Marienbad (Alain Resnais) (1961)
  4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone) (1966)
  5. Satantango (Bela Tarr) (1994)
  6. En la Ciudad de Sylvia (José Luis Guerín) (2007) 
  7. Manhunter (Michael Mann) (1986)
  8. The Prestige (Christopher Nolan) (2006)
  9. Sonatine (Takeshi Kitano) (1994)
  10. Le testament d'Orphée (Jean Cocteau) (1960)
  11. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick) (1968)
  12. Jfk (Oliver Stone) (1991)


Now that I think of it, if you would let me know what your movies were today, this entire thing might not be entirely meaningless.  

8 comments:

Amar said...

No love for Hitchcock?

Satish Naidu said...

But then Amar, there's no love here for To either. Or Keaton. Or Tati. Or Ray. That's why this list is for today, and it expires midnight.

rahee said...

My 15 Movies Today- Watched in the past 2 months:

Street of Crocodiles(The Brothers Quay)

Self Shots(Lutz Mommartz)

Inglourious Basterds(Quentin Tarantino)

Sabotage(Alfred Hitchcock)

Outer Space(Peter Tscherkassky)

Lonely are the Brave(David Miller)

Until the End of the World(Wim Wenders)

Day of the Idiots(Werner Schroeter)

Woman in the Dunes(Hiroshi Teshigahara )

Under the Sun of Satan(Maurice Pialat)

Out 1: Noli me Tangere(Jacques Rivette)

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors(Serhiy Parajanov)

Videodrome(David Cronenberg)

Distant Voices, Still Lives(Terence Davies)

Mauvais Sang(Leos Carax)

Satish Naidu said...

Thanks a lot for that Rahee! That gives me at least a few movies to watch... And Woman in the Dunes is going to be the first one. That movie has waited enough.

rahee said...

I had delayed watching Woman in the Dunes for quite some time as well-partially because of its revered status which meant massive hopes about its brilliance. It does not disappoint. If I were to suggest a film to you, I would particularly pick Mauvais Sang; that film is absolute style!

By the way, thanks for suggesting Bill Viola through your Movies Watched list. He really is something. :)

Satish Naidu said...

Thanks Rahee for the Carax. I haven't watched any of his, and he is in the to-do tab of the spreadsheet. I've got to get it done with him before the "essence of cinema" is available.

Regarding Ray, I really dig Portrait in Light and Heat. The manner in which it plays with perceptions, both literally and figuratively really gives me the kick every time I think of it.

Anonymous said...

- Fight Club (Fincher)
- Dreams (Kurasowa)
- 3 Iron (Kim Ki Duk)
- Samaritan Girl (Kim Ki Duk)
- Dark Knight( Nolan)
- Elephant (Gus Van Sant)

Sadanand Renapurkar said...

I've only two.

1.The Housemaid, a chilling and complex film. Ebert had recommended it.

2. Oslo, 31st August: This one was your recommendation.